Saturday 18 July 2020

Shetland Long Tailed Skua

While we have only had a few common migrants these last few weeks a couple of rare birds continue to put in appearances.

 Recently a Black Redstart and Red Backed Shrike stayed at Sumburgh quarry for over two weeks and Quail have been present for at least 5 weeks , possibly 4/5 birds in various locations with one today down at Bakkasetter

 The Lesser Grey Shrike again has been present for a few months, possibly the same bird in Unst at end of May, then at Vidlin on the 5  June then at Maywick from the 27 June to present. I saw it briefly down on the Bigton road today, sat on a fence post to the south of the normal area.

The other long stay rarity is the Long Tailed Skua which again may be the same bird seen in May at Dalsetter. It disappeared for two weeks but then seen briefly at Dalsetter again then Clumlie before becoming a regular at Dalsetter hill


 This bird was joined by a second Long tailed Skua for about 1/2 hour yesterday, the second bird didn't have a long tail.


 I first saw the bird fly low passed me heading to Boddam, it was certainly a fast bird. The day before it had been photographed around the Broch so I went to this spot to find no sign. Sitting on the highest part of the Broch I could see the striking bird high up on a nearby hill


 I made my way over to a ruined croft and waited for it to fly. It certainly didn't disappoint and was very territorial


 I gather it attacked a person in a Dalsetter garden striking him on the head and wasn't liking the Arctic Skua pair nearby, making constant dives at the skuas


 It then flew and landed close by, it is a very beautiful bird and reminded me of the other Long Tailed Skua that I saw on Burra about 8 years ago, although this was in better weather


Make sure you don't disturb the many nesting birds in the area and view from the fence or inside the old croft

 Long Tailed Skuas are normally seen passing the coast going to or from their breeding grounds in the arctic
With over 600 photos to process through I will be back with some others in the next blog

No comments:

Post a Comment