Wednesday 13 February 2013

Shetland opens up far more photographic opportunities than around Sheffield. For one, being near the coast is a massive bonus, we currently have to travel around 70+ miles each way to the east coast from Sheffield. So I am really looking forward to having the coast on the doorstep as no where in Shetland is more than 3 miles away from the sea.

The light in Shetland is superb and seems a lot crisper than down here. No problem from heat haze to blur your photos. If you look deep in to the natural world, it will reward you with a never ending array of subjects to photograph. All you need is the time to photograph things in a way that only you see them and then to share with others via the web or other means. I am able to share my photography by giving  illustrated wildlife talks to a wide variety of people. I am sure that you will have heard that a photo is worth a thousand words, but a presentation/ lecture is both .  Sorry to rabbit on folks, I am sure that i will reach a thousand words soon !!!!

Once photography enters your blood stream, its like a disease.

The light and weather in Shetland is constantly changing , where the landscape appears different each minute of the day. You just have to get out with your camera in all weathers to make the most of these great opportunities. I have purchased rain-gards for my camera and lenses from Wildife Watching supplies and would recommend these to anyone undertaking outdoor photography. This should help and keep the salt and wet weather at bay.

I saw a great quote the other day from Jon Sexton on '' Light''

''It is light that reveals, light that obscures, light that communicates. It is light I listen to. The light late in the day has distinct qualities, as it fades towards the darkness of the evening. After sunset there is a gentle leaving of the light, the air begins to still and quiet descends,  I can see the magic of dusk, I feel quiet.
A sense of magic prevails. A sense of my sky and a time for contemplating, listening - a time for making photographs''.


If you have seen the Simmer Dim, where darkness never sets in late Spring and Summer, where there is 22 hours of daylight and you haven't enough energy to see the whole day through, then you have experienced a magical moment in Shetland.
                                            Midnight early June, time of the Simmer Dim
I have been asked by many people which is my favourite photo, i nearly always respond that it is the one I am going to take tomorrow (In Shetland). Well in a few months hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment